Translate

Aug 27, 2013

Instead of Epilogue

This short log was written at the Cap of Fisterra, intended to mark the end of my journey.


This evening at Fisterra, I have probably seen the most beautiful sunset in my life. It was absolutely stunning as the sun was going down far behind a flat endless ocean, one would think that it plunged into the sea. It was so gently slow and magnificent, yet as quick as a glimpse of a moment. It is a pity that I am not a poet and cannot express this magnificent moment in a more beautiful way. It would really deserve an ode – ode to the sunset at the end of the world. This was not only a sunset behind the ocean with a view from big cliffs at the end of the world. More figuratively, it marked the end of my pilgrimage and the beginning of something new. I hold high hopes that this ultimate journey has made me a little wiser, prudent, and broadened my view. It is difficult to say something like that right away. Probably the effects of the pilgrimage will come on the surface later. Yet, one think came up clear to me as I was watching the sunset in silence and solitude. I am a social person and even though this time I was looking for solitude to achieve inner peace, I must be around people. I am definitely not a lone wolf and I will never be either. One very good friend of mine expressed it very precisely: even though solitude was the purpose of this journey, enough is enough. That is right, I think that now I know myself much better because I had a chance observe myself in various difficult situations and carefully threw myself under a deep introspection. Now when I know myself better, I can hone my strengths and try to break off foibles and bad habits. If one says about him or herself that it this is just the way I am, the part of my personality and just throw in the towel, not trying to improve own weaknesses, I will always stand in outright opposition pointing my finger that this attitude is not right and one always has something to work on and to improve. Once again, as Thomas Carlyle said, greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none.


***



Log from Bratislava, safely back home

Arriving home was a very strange feeling. It felt like as if I were gone only for few days, yet on the way I felt that I have been away for several months. It is now beyond the words to describe the whole gamut of emotions I experienced when I came back home, had my favorite dish, enjoyed all the forgotten luxury and let my mum spoil me with all delicious meals I hankered after all the way long. Despite all difficulties, it was a great journey, worth of every penny! For the money I spent on the way, I might have gone to a luxurious 5-star resort for 2 weeks, but vacation this harder way was much more rewarding. Now when I have seen so much I can finally appreciate sweet home again! The whole trip was a good lesson and I guess that I will use the energy from it for a very long time to come. 


The Legacy of the Camino de Santiago

I would like to conclude my blog with some wise words, but why to bother if someone has already done it much better? Here is the Pilgrim's Prayer that precisely catches the meaning of the whole Camino. 





No comments:

Post a Comment