Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 4

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine



The fourth day I had a little chill out in Linz. I still needed to get there because I was about 10 km away from Linz. In the morning it was extremely difficult to start biking as my butt hurt a lot. That eventually became my major problem with biking as soon as pain in the knee faded away. I visited Linz 2 years ago with a friend of mine during another low-cost journey (visiting Austria on train and sleeping in a tent). Therefore, this time I did not need to do much sightseeing and could just hang around, watch a knight tournament during Linz historical festive days (great timing, indeed), and recharge my devices in McDonald where I had, by the way, an interesting experience. One Afro-American guy, about 14-years old and obviously tipsy, came to the “restaurant“ and started harassing customers by begging for food with inarticulate mumbling. He was saw off by several customers, but the funniest one, also an Afro-American was terrified by his obnoxious behavior and kicked a fuss there. “What the fuck, do not take my food, man“, he screamed at the guy when he “served himself“ with some fries of his allegedly new friend. In the end, the manager had to spring on defense of the customer and kick that guy out. It was quite funny to observe that. I and one elderly woman were particularly amused by this scene and ended up talking for about an hour. She was really garrulous and therefore it was not a problem to engage in a conversation either with her, or with the other guests. Almost everyone looked incredulously when she told the newcomers about my plans to go by bike to Spain and it was quite funny to see their reactions. 

Before leaving Linz, I wanted to ritually have shower in the same fountain as two years ago. What an irony that after I was nicely washed, it suddenly started raining. This rain accompanied me for at least 5 hours and I was completely soaked from the top to the bottom. In some moments, I even experienced such heavy rain that I could not move and see anything. Even my so called waterproof jacket got wet.


Despite my rest in Linz, I was quite tired, maybe due to my rushed pace during the rain. Interestingly, you tend to ride faster in the rain. This can be either due to the fact that the pavement is wet and therefore you can move more smoothly, or simply because it is cold and you want to warm up and ride faster. I did manage to get to the designated place, but it was rather in the dark and quite late. I vividly remember my riding along various meanders of Danube and I could not wait until I reach my goal. I even ate my last Horalka to get more sugar for last kilometeres (my favorite sweets, typical Slovak sweets). As usually, I built my base about 10 pm. This time, however, in an area full of fishermen and campers. Finally a conventional alternative (last night beneath the railway road was not particularly pleasing but it is funny now in the retrospective).

Oh, I almost forgot - I saw a plethora of glowing worms! I could barely see any since I was 7. They are so amazing! It is like a miniscule Avatar. I drunk few gulps of whisky and fell asleep with the sense of accomplishment for the day in the beautiful area of Danube caught in the hills in almost untouched nature, far away from any signs of urban areas. 







No comments:

Post a Comment