Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 23

"A traveler without observation is a bird without wings." — Moslih Eddin Saadi



In the next morning Krzysztof sprang a surprise on me when he ordered French breakfast that we enriched with some salami, cheese and eggs. The usual French breakfast basically consists of a piece of bread or baguette, jam, butter, croissant and black coffee served in big funny caps. The people around us must have been amused by looking at our lavish breakfast. Well, what the French enjoy in the evening, we in the middle Europe like to have for breakfast. As always on my journey, it was for me a strange feeling of luxury to sit at a table with coffee and breakfast. With all due respect, dear readers, you have not the faintest idea what it is like, unless you stay voluntarily in a tent for 20 days without basic amenities. 

We departed rather late, having many kilometers to catch up on. I had bad luck during one break because my bike slipped down and my bike gear stabbed my foot. It was a deep wound and started blooding heavily. As usually, I airily put some plaster on it and did not care anymore.

The road to Nantes offered us beautiful scenery, leading through French villages, lakes, rivers and small towns. It was mostly wide enoug with good and flat terrain.

I had a great opportunity to try out Krzysztof's bike for a while. Well, I must say that it was truly a horse of another color! It was like riding a bike version of Harley Davidson. All the hi-tec gears, handles that fit just like a glove, speed lock for the bike fork and very practical luggage made riding the bike on the road a whole new experience. No wonder, it was brand new road bike and of a higher price category, about twice the price of my bike. I was really amused by Krzysztof's reaction to my bike that he called a perfect torturing machine for masochists. Well, it might not be far from the truth.

On the way we were asked for help by one man on a special bike. He found a small cat and it was breaking his heart to leave it there alone. It was obviously hungry and needed to be taken care of. We gladly helped, and Krzysztof helped with transporting the cat in his front luggage while I took his belongings on my bike. We were supposed to ride about 6 km in the same direction as we were originally heading to, so it was really not a problem. Operation save the kitty ran pretty smoothly, on the way we even helped few elderly ladies to fix their bike. Oliviert, the guy on the special bike was joking that I might have a special taste for old women when I was so eager to help. Actually, quite the opposite is the true, even though it is true that I always try to be helpful. After all, so many people have helped me that I feel obliged to pay it forward. After we had accomplished our bonus quest, we were invited for something to drink, which in fact later became an invitation to lunch. His spouse was equally nice and they treated us with tasty Prosecco and Crème de Cassis a la Kir Royal. For lunch we were lucky to taste the original ratatouille, and I can now confirm that this dish is really good. I originally thought that I disliked ratatouille because I tried it once from a cane bought in Lidl during the French week, but it goes without saying that can food pales in comparison to the real stuff. The food and drinks were delicious, the company utmost pleasant and the mood also great. It was interesting to exchange views about countries and learn something about France from the insiders. Oliviert has a beautiful house with very well cared garden and a pool – I would call it a rural paradise. Their 2 plus 1 new cat and 2 dogs only emphasized the atmosphere of an idyllic dwelling. Everything was great, but out of the sudden, my wound started bleeding again. Oliviert noticed that and immediately tried to fetch several friends of him who as pharmacists could professionally take care of it. I insisted that it is just a little scratch and it does not need any special attention, even though the blood all around my feet gave another impression. In the end, all of his friends were not available on the phone, but Oliviert's spouse was so nice that she cleaned the wound and gave me some big back-up plasters. Short thereafter, we were totally caught unprepared by heavy rain. Krzysztof managed to cover our bikes just in time, but it poured so much that we were totally wet within few seconds. After some coffee as warm-up and few minutes of break, we said goodbye to our new French friends and set back on the road. We were elated by this experience for the rest of the day, saying that their generous hospitality and this quite coincidence were almost unbelievable. But as Oliviert earlier said, he also travelled a lot and having the traveler spirit, he feels hospitable to strangers. Someone who does not travel much would be rather unlikely to invite complete strangers. I must fully agree with him.

The next few hours were spent rather in rush because we did not have much time left. We had a whirlwind visit in Nantes – just went to the train station where Krzysztof inquired about his train ticket, to Lidl to do small shopping, and then speeded away. Originally, I was looking forward to enjoying what Nantes has to offer, but on the other hand, I wanted to see off the Eurovelo 6 and therefore, I decided to skip sightseeing in Nantes and continue with Krzysztof. In the evening I was quite tired, probably the ratatouille with vegetable went through my stomach just as quickly as we rushed through Nantes. However, we had a ferry to catch and we had to be on time. We had no clue when the last ferry goes, but it was sure it will not drive until the late evening. In the end we managed to catch the last but one just in the nick of time – one more minute and we could only beckon the ferry from the shore. 

Then we biked for another half an hour, took a nice break with beer and some fruit and asked one guy where we could find a camp. He gave us clear directions, but my frequently updated offline map did not indicate any camp in that area. I think that there was a good reason for it as we were to find out later. The camp appeared to be closer than anything else and Krzysztof said it would be worth of trying. I was rather for going to a camp I found on the map, but I acquiesced since I could not put too much reliance in my offline maps, either. It was about 9:30, getting dark and cold, my socks were still wet from the rain and tiredness also did its deal on our strengths. After several kilometers, when we were about to give up and plan a retour, Krzysztof happily showed me a sign that said the camp was quite near. I was really surprised and happy that in the end, this detour was not all for nothing, and we rushed to that place. Well, those who know me are quite aware of the fact that I do not need any luxury to feel comfortable. If it were so, I would not undertake this trip in the first place. I guess it would sound utterly ridiculous when I start complaining about living standards right now, but you bet that I am having a luxurious living in my tent compared to what we were offered there. That let's say, proto-camp was namely quite dilapidated even to my standards. We asked the proprietors whether they had a free caravan to lend and it appeared to be quite a difficult task to find that out. They were very nice, but apparently also practiced some kind of an alternative lifestyle. Krzysztof inquired about shower, I took the role of the consecutive interpreter and actually later a mediator as well :P Now few words to those showers. Imagine a ramshackle building where you can see all sort of moldy old pipes with awfully looking walls and old leaking garden tubes serving for your shower. The shower corner was a realy corner, why would they bother with linings, eh? The guy introduced us to this utmost touristic horror with words "And now, here you can take your shower – and here is the light, you just need to plug this in." An amazing idea to put a power strip for a temporal light to a place where water splashes all around! At that very moment, I dismissed any thoughts about having a shower. I exchanged my looks with Krzysztof, but he appeared to be alright with that. "Well then", I said, "let's see the caravan." The presentation of the caravan was a special task that was done by the boss himself. We entered an old (I mean, really old) caravan where you could feel putrid smell of a bygone era and rather would not like to know what history was written there. The boss pulled out the second bed with a broad smile and went for some sheets. I wanted to explore the caravan a little bit more so I opened the only cupboard there. I found there some smelly rubbish, and surprisingly a half of a cake. I rather did not want to know how old it could possibly be. For Krzysztof, that was the last straw that broke the camel's back. Now I had the pleasant duty of explaining the two dangerously looking men with even more dangerously looking fighting dog (with even more dangerous name Tyson) the situation that we have decided to look for something else. It actually ran much more smoothly than I had originally thought. Later, I regreted that I did not take any pictures of that campsite. It looked so scary that even I was afraid of pulling out my cell phone there.  

Afterwards, we were left with no other alternative than to look for another place to stay at 10:30 pm. As you can imagine, most of the small accommodation places is closed by that time and we were frantically asking around in bars and restaurants where we could find a place to stay. We rode another 30 minutes on the main road and found a little village. Krzysztof wanted to check the advertised room for rent, but it was futile. Meanwhile I checked something on my GPS, but by the time I finished, Krzysztof was already gone. I was like, great; nothing better could happen than getting lost in a strange city in the dark and looking for each other. Eventually, I found him on the main square. He talked to a group of partying people and to my utmost surprise told me that they agreed that we could stay with them. The funniest thing was that the guy who invited us was not the proprietor of the house, but the owner luckily did not mind either I guess you can imagine how extremely happy we were that we found a place to stay. It was a decent party, one of the guys celebrated his birthday and the others were his colleagues from work. They all worked in the factory for biscuits in St. Michelle, probably the most famous French biscuits that are exported all over the world. I immediately added that it would be my dream job to work in a biscuit factory. To my utmost surprise; however, they did not have any factory shop where you could buy the products for a bulk price. This totally reminded me Edinburgh where I went to a biscuit factory every now and then to enjoy plethora of sweets for my morning coffee. Besides biscuits, they had a very interesting salty cake with ham for which I immediately asked the recipe. I intend to bake it back at home, but I do not hold high hopes that it will be exactly as delicious as after biking 120 km. Hard to believe, but we could even take a shower after this hard day. All of them were terribly nice and I had a great opportunity to practice my French a little. This was really incredible – just a stroke of luck and really a happy ending of all those pitfalls we had to get through. In the morning we were offered some coffee and our gratitude was beyond words (especially beyond my poor French vocabulary). 


No comments:

Post a Comment