Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 10

"The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see."  ~G.K. Chesterton


I started my day pretty early, around 6 am. After my rather quick breakfast, I took some pictures of the sunrise over the beautiful country and set off for the journey. I was really behind my schedule – for that day I had planned 115 km and supposing that I was 25 km lagging behind (again, wildly inaccurate measurements on my precious digital map), I knew I would not make it, but my goal was to make as much as possible.

Biking in the morning when not a soul is around has its specific charm. Just you, your bike, nature and the track. All your busy thoughts just wither away and you find yourself in a state of an empty mind – it is like meditation. No past, no future, no hopes, no fear, no thoughts, just you and the very presence of the moment.

This day has undoubtedly taken me through the most beautiful trails so far. Even though the most difficult, but it was still worth it. The nature was absolutely stunning! It is funny to say that I went through places where the others go to spend active holidays.

However, this amazing scenery took its price, too. I was incredibly tired after catching up on my debt from yesterday and I barely made more than 20 km from the new day by the noon. Moreover, this time my left knee started to act up and I was really afraid that it would be a harbinger of something more serious. This was a clear signal to take a lunch break, so I did. I stuffed myself with calories (beans, bread, 500 g ice-cream, biscuits) and left for the ride.

In the afternoon I got once again hopelessly lost due to my own stupidity. I went to the McDonald's at the outskirt of the town and wanted to make my life easier by planning “a little detour “. However, I did not have any map downloaded for this detour and I could only guess what could come. So I went straight to the woods, then to even bigger woods and in the end I was biking on an extremely difficult trail from which every heart of an MTB-biker would leap, but mine was just shaken - only my luggage leapt which was, of course, not desirable.. Fortunately, I found the way out of the woods after an hour or so and then I wandered only on paved roads. I was even further behind the schedule; therefore, I wanted to make the most of the day and biked until the dusk.


One of the worst biking experiences is riding in the dark on a poorly marked road where you can easily get lost. Does not matter how well your GPS works, it has no use if you have 4 or 5 roads in the same direction and you frantically go astray several times. It goes without saying that it is extremely frustrating to come to the last known point, especially if you are tired as hell. I was in similar situations almost the whole day, but in the evening it was even worse. That evening I also met a stranger from California who just wandered to Germany. He did help me with the way, but was incredibly garrulous – still talking about the movie industry, illuminati, freemasons and how they all ruined his life which was not very pleasant to the ear. I tried to make an early escape, but it was not so easy because I always have some stupid questions that can turn some people on for another half an hour of monotonous explanations. Fortunately, the way from there was very straightforward – obviously, I was in the Switzerland, it figures. My final evening mission was to get to the outskirt of a big Swiss town and far enough from the public eye. What an irony that I lost my way in the city for countless times until I arrived at a place where I could stay. It was already midnight and I was so tired that I simply gave up on building a tent and slept in my sleeping bag on a bench in an abandoned parking lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment