Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 9

"A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly."  ~Lemony Snicket


I must say that today was an amazing day for biking. I felt as if I had abundance of energy. Quite interesting what one longer stopover can do.. After enjoying my two caps of great coffee by Judith and the farewell, I strode into a nearby Lidl shop to buy some food and as usually to the McDonald's to check my e-mails. I am so pissed off that my internet roaming does not work; hopefully I will find the way to fix it. 

The Donauradweg from Ulm was probably the most beautiful part of my whole journey so far. I rarely rode in the traffic, there were different terrain, both hills and flats, and everything as if mixed with care by an architect or so because once you were fed up with the fields, the hills came, when you lay panting without breath after riding uphill, there were some flat fields, forest and so on. The trail was beautiful, very beautiful. 

Once again, I rode quite a lot because all the meanders on the way made my map calculations totally inaccurate. It was supposed to be around 115 km but it was actually about 140. 

In the evening I came into a beautiful town called Sigmaringen. I did a little sightseeing, watched the festive days a little and took some nice pictures. It was getting dark and quite honestly, I did not feel like riding further, but I knew that I could not stay in the city, either. I had to push myself to move in order to get at least to the outskirt of the town, where I slept in a park.


After being so long alone only with my bike, I have decided to give it a name, similarly, as sailors give names to their ships. From this point, I will refer to my bike as Lucy just because I love this name in English.  I think I have already become well-versed with riding my bike. It has became such a habit, that it is as natural for me as walking. Riding Lucy 7 hours a day is a grueling task, but I bear It gladly. Normally, I keep the constant pace of about 20 km/h on a flat terrain and rarely exceed 40 km/h on a downhill. Of course, everything depends on the road, but I tend to be cautiod because of my shitty luggage. Sometimes, though, I msut admit that I get carried away and ride her like crazy on nasty terraiain to enjoy it more wildly. But of course, I respect all traffic rules diligently and never cross on red. 

I must admit that I was a little bit afraid of sleeping "wherever my wheels bring me" due to the infamous hog incident from the previous night out. Moreover, the place where I was heading was just woods, woods and woods in another nature park with only few tiny villages scattered around the place. I could expect almost with certainty some wildlife there. As if it were not enough, I looked up in google "self defense against hogs" against my better judgment and was horrified that there is really a fat chance that a human could defend against a furious hog unless you have a tree around where you could climb. Having totally scared myself, I did not want to take any extra chances. Therefore, I decided to stay safe and "fortified" my dwelling. Here you can see my little stronghold.



I can imagine how you are smirking over my precautious measures, but do not worry, hogs were not the only reason why I wanted to stay here. I just found it super-cool to stay overnight in such an observation tower and see the picturesque morning sunrise over the beautiful landspace from a little higher perspective. Here are some pictures to prove that it was worth of it even though I made my stopover 20 km earlier as I had planned. And of course, I would not lose any sleep over hogs, either, because there was no way they could get over there. Hogs might have not, but the police did. I thought I would have some troubles, but in the end, everything was just fine. They checked my ID, incredulously listened to my plans and in the end went away so I could sleep in my marvelous tower.











No comments:

Post a Comment