Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 15

"To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world." —Freya Stark


Today was a great day for biking. It was neither hot, nor cold, neither rain, nor wind – the weather conditions were just ideal. It was supposed to rain, but luckily I have managed to run away from the one that was menacingly forming on my way in the sky. Today I got up rather late, probably due to the overall fatigue (I thought that I can adjust my lifestyle to 6-7 h of sleep and 100+ kilometers per day, but it is quite impossible in a long "ride"). The road was this time fine, sometimes little difficult, but generally this time was the off road pretty fine. As usually, I rode the whole day along a river, this time the Canal de Bourgogne There are several small houses scattered on the way placed with remarkable precision in the distance of 1 km. Their main purpose is probably to supervise the canal and to let boats pass, for which they use a very interesting mechanism. Sometimes the owners also run a small restaurant, or a bar, but mostly they are inhabited by villagers and look very modest. It is a picturesque atmosphere here, but I must say that after nearly 4 days seeing still the same I am oversaturated of this scenery and would probably go crazy without any other amusement on the road. Therefore, I sank my mind once again extensively into my philosophy and French audiobooks. So I basically bike and my mind wanders with Descartes and French courses.


Yesterday I built my tent somewhere in bunches near a small town and tonight I have decided to enjoy the luxury of staying in a well-cared park in one French village. Now, I am drinking Bordeux, enjoying my break, and writing these lines.



No comments:

Post a Comment