Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 31

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.  ~Mark Twain


I was just about to finish packing my tent when a police car appeared. I never try to avoid responsibility. In fact, I tend to openly admit all wrongdoing with some degree of pride which always gives an utterly naïve impression. Be it as it may, in some situations you do not have other alternatives. The police officer started interrogating me with an obvious question whether I slept there. It would not make much sense to say that I was just building my tent on a parking lot 10 am in the morning so I had to admit that. Then I was told that this camping night would cost me 130 € because since the forest was a national park, camping was strictly forbidden with the exception of therefore specially designated campsites. I came up with a compelling reason. I said that had I had so much money, I would definitely not have slept like this here in the parking lot. As he looked at my pitiable conditions, clemency woke up in him and decided to let me get away only with a warning. Thanks God I got so easily out of this situation! Next time I will be more vigilant. Firstly, I will build my tent somewhere further in the forest and secondly, I will pack it up early in the morning so nobody could catch me red-handed.

Ironically, in spite of riding along the Atlantic all the time, today I swam in a lake. The sea was simply too far away and I needed to cool down a little during my lunch break. Just a pity that I could not have a lunch in the local restaurant because French kitchen apparently does not work between 3 and 7 pm. I decided to wait until the evening nevertheless to taste a true French Galette, a thin large salty buckwheat pancake filled with ham and eggs. I took a big ice-cream in a goblet for the time being, charged my gadgets completely, and realized how much the McDonald's is overpriced. Since I do not need internet access anymore, I can indulge myself in local cafés and restaurants with no worries. 

Before wrapping up my amateur elaborations on philosophy, I would like to say a few words about Nietzsche. I am appalled that almost every Christian recoils in horror when I say that Nietzsche is one of my most favorite philosophers. What a blossomy, how can somebody who clearly said God is dead and inspired the Nazis with the idea of a perfect man be a shining example for a Christian? Well, first of all, Nietzsche was probably the most misunderstood philosophers of all times. His life was equally perplexing as his aphorisms and one could easily come to a wrong conclusion about his philosophy. Similarly, his rather strong words could be easily ripped out of context and misused for a completely different ideology that the one they were supposed to allude to. In any case, according to his biographers, Nietzsche's character was a polar opposite to the modern widespread belief about him: He was very sensible, peaceful and actually loathed Anti-Semitism to such an extent that he broke his relationship with his sister, the only person he really trusted, just because she married a man who displayed rather scary characteristics as an Anti-Semite . Besides, his idea of a perfect man was much deeper than many Nazis could ever comprehend. It involved profound moral changes in society as far as the culture and morality are considered, but definitely not weeping out certain demographic groups. Similarly, he did not succumb to madness as a heretic, but as a deeply sensitive person who could not stand up torturing a horse by reckless men. And his famous saying that God is dead was meant figuratively in the sense that God is dead in hearts of people because only very few acted in accordance with their religion. One must bear in mind that at those times, Christianity was obligatory and a man could not simply say that he does not believe in God. Therefore, everybody, the good and the bad alike, went to the church as humble sheep and very often did the exact opposite as their religion was saying them all the time. Nietzsche could not stand this hypocrisy and saw no sense at all in practicing a religion if it is merely taken as an institutional custom and not lived from inside out. He also hoped for the ultimate fall of the Catholic Church in which he saw "a glimmer of hope for better morality". To a certain extent, he was right, the Catholic church did lose on its political and social significance over the century, but it was not replaced by any better morality according to his wishful thinking. The world remained actually the same; the only difference is that there is no need for hypocrisy anymore as the social rules changed over the course of time as well. People are equally lascivious and corrupt as they were in the past with a small difference that nowadays they admit their (wrong)doing quite openly and sometimes are even praised for that. On the other hand, Catholic Church did not die out as he predicted, but on the contrary managed to clean itself to a certain extent (Whether you agree with this statement or not depends on your own point of view of seeing a glass half-empty or half-full). Considering the age in which Nietzsche lived, I find his statements quite fair - I would also despise such hypocrisy. Nowadays, however, it is all different. Religion is not obligatory anymore and this voluntary factor significantly reduces the amount of black sheep. Of course, it would be foolish and naïve to say that Christians are now better than Atheists, but generally speaking, they constantly try to become better persons because one is obliged to do so by Christian beliefs and standards.  To this constant striving for improvement fits quite well the quotation by Thomas Carlyle that the greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none. Therefore, a humble sinner has better chances to become a better person than somebody who is "almost perfect" and does not make any more effort to move further. As always, the exception enforces the rule and you cannot make broad generalizations, but the sketched tendency cannot be denied. Anyway, I doubt that Nietzsche would say this about Christianity nowadays; I would rather imagine him bitching about slipping moral standards in our so called mainstream hedonic society. Anyhow, I personally like it as it is right now. I cannot imagine that the religion would be obligatory. Supposing that the God gave us free will, where the man takes pride to command what the others should believe in? As an intellectual rebel, I would never subscribe to any forced religion. One could oppose that we should do that for the better good, or even the souls of the other people, but I will once again raise the finger and ask who the person is that he or she dares to mingle with sovereignty of any individual. One must firstly choose freely to seek salvation; we cannot do it for him or her by force. Unfortunately, some deeply religious people would not share my view. Oh, pardon, deeply religious does not necessarily mean what I wanted to say: fanatics is precisely the right word to describe such individuals, whose extreme beliefs brings more evil than good. I just wanted to make this fundamental difference quite clear because many people mix these two strikingly different words. On the other hand, you might find many self-conceited Atheists who loathe of religious people who find their life fulfillment in for them utterly bizarre customs and thinking. If only people were really tolerant - these words I am writing now would not be needed at all. 
With religion it is sometimes like with salt (again, just a broad generalization, I always cautiously point it out, my own professional deformation). If you add the right amount, it will enhance the flavor of every little thing, but once you really overdo with it, it can easily spoil everything. Still, you might find some people who like their dish unsalted and you cannot force them to salt it just because you enjoy it more that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment