Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 13

The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway.  ~Henry Boye


Damn, it is not as easy with the internet connection as I had originally thought. It takes ages to load a complicated webpage as Couchsurfing.org is so it takes a lot of time and effort to arrange something. I hope I manage to find a host in Dijon; I would really appreciate having a shower after a week or so. And I also hope that the host will not get scared away by my shabby appearance, though. Right now it is morning; I am enjoying some great sweet French stuff and will try to reach Dijon by 8 pm. That means officially 122 km, but I am estimating 140 for real due to my infamous map inconsistencies. So far I have done 45 and now it is actually the brunch time. The reason why I have breakfast so late is that I met a French veteran cyclist (82 years old) and I just did not want to look like a loser that I cannot keep up with him and talk around a little. He might have had a road bike and no luggage, but there is no point in seeking excuses supposing that he was almost 4 times older than me. What a paragon of an active pensioner! I wish I were also bursting with energy in the later age as he was! The road is nicely flat and paved once again which allowed me to move pretty fast. 

Afternoon

Today it was once again a big pursuit to get on time for my couchsurfing randez-vous in Dijon. However, this time, nothing was set for sure. The couch, Estelle, told me that she is busy, but she might be able to help me out in case I do not find anyone else. I tried to connect to the couchsurfing website for several times, but it was futile. Next time I will know that this kind of things must be arranged in advance with some decent internet connection. I had kind of known that, but the situation, as usually, did not leave me much place and time for that. Not mentioning that I have included the wrong date on the couchsurfing website and instead of coming the next day, I was coming one day earlier. I had no idea how it would turn out, but I decided to carry on with my plans as if everything was just alright. 


Speaking about the roads, I think I had overpraised them because after my lunch break there was a nasty surprise awaiting me. On the cycle map the road was marked a little bit differently, but I did not think that it would be such a polar opposite to a normal road. Well, that one was also “a normal road“ provided that you have a hammer, a tank or any heavy agriculture machinery. I would actually call this road a paradise for an adrenaline-boosted MTB biker, but it was definitely not a normal road for casual cyclist with heavy luggage as me. It is a miracle that my luggage did not fall apart as I crashed several times. This highway to hell continued for about 10 km and I had to choose between pestilent mosquitoes and risking a challenging ride on the destroyed forest lane in utmost heat. Finally, when I thought that this would never end, I ran into a normal road and there was a glimmer of hope once again that I could make it on time. At that point, I was still not able to connect to the internet and I managed that only after 8 pm in the evening when I wrote an overly optimistic message to my supposed host that I am near Dijon, and actually, I mixed the dates and would be coming tonight. I was counting my chances and did not really believe that Estelle would read my message before it gets dark and thus almost impossible to find the correct way to her place of which address, by the way, I did not have, either. I parked my bike in a private lake area about 10 km from Dijon at 9 pm and my hope started to fade away. I was innerly preparing for staying at that place overnight and visiting Dijon the next day.. When I lost the last flicker of hope, I opened a bottle of wine that was meant as a present for Estelle and had my dinner that consisted of biscuits because I had nothing else besides my iron ration of power bars. Then, quite suddenly, Estelle called me back and said that it would be possible to come over at her place. The idea of a decent night sleep, having charged my laptop and cellphone batteries and meeting another couchhost sparked hopes in me to such an extent that I rode like crazy through the lake labyrinth which had, not surprisingly, a simillar terrain as the awful road to Dijon. Until I got out of there, I happened to lose two of my T-shirts, but fortunately nothing indispansable. I rashed into the city with a snippet of information about the address and 10% of battery on my GPS. Had my cell phone gone flat, I would have been totally screwed, but fortunately, I managed to locate her address on the map and then get there. On the way I encountered several adventurous moments such as not respecting traffic rules, passing a super narrow bridge from which either I or my bike could easily fall into the river from 5 meters (I would have taken a picture of that had it not been so dark and my battery had not been so flat.). I also made use of my French and mixed numbers cinquinte with quanze (15 and 50) which made looking for the right house in the dark very interesting. In the end, I arrived happily at her place and was welcomed wholeheartedly despite the late hour. It is hard to believe how much I am thankful for having a shower and charging my devices. It looks like I totally overreact by such things, but truly, no-one who has not experienced a week in soaring heat without shower can understand that.



No comments:

Post a Comment