Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 19

"There can be no hope without fear, and no fear without hope".  ~Spinoza


I must say that my travelling mood changed from the high spirits to some kind of uncertainty, undoubtedly due to my recent health problems. Going through difficulties like this in seclusion means to cope with it by yourself and to decide where your priorities lie. This event might have also caused a little deeper introspection because I was questioning myself whether it is right what I am doing. One would say that my behavior is utterly stubborn; the other one could praise me as tenacious and decisive. Be it as it may, I would not continue if doctors had clearly told me not to. Besides, I do not think that there are neither good, nor bad human traits, provided that we do not talk about extremities. It is all just the point of view and it depends much on the situation for which one particular trait might prove right and thus become a virtue, or be condemned as wrong, thus characterized as a foible. It is like talking about a freedom fighter and a terrorist – both are basically the same, yet these two words have totally different connotations depending on the situation and your point of view. For the situation I am right now in, I found very helpful ideas and thoughts of C. S. Lewis, an older protestant teologist, and by the way, the author of the famous Narnia series. Many would wonder how I can, as a Catholic, find inspiration in Protestant readings, but quite honestly, there is not much difference between religions when morality and proper behavior is concerned. The morality of Aristotle, Spinoza, ideas of C. S. Lewis, the Catholic morality, the atheist morality and even the morality of other religions share a vast amount of similar features as I have a chance to compare during my sporty-philosophical biking. Well, back to the point, C. S. Lewis suggests that urges, instincts and human characteristics on the whole are like notes on musical instrument. They are no right or wrong tones, each of them can be either right or wrong in a particular situation or context and it is completely up to you whether you create with the chords you have an artistic piece of music or a total cacophony. Therefore, I sincerely hope that the tunes of my character that I am applying right now will prove to make some good melody for the next days to come.

...

Now watching the grass tormented by strong wind by the river shore, I am thinking about myself. It does not matter how much the wind blows, the grass simply bends when needed and stands up again and again, unless someone comes and cut it. I will be like the grass. If I am lucky, I will see this trip to the end, but if the situation got worse, I would have to be reasonable and to abandon my plans. Right now, I will just persist, take all precautions needed to arrive in Santiago in full health and we shall see what the future holds for me.

Regarding the road from Orleans to Nantes, it is a marked difference from the pseudotrails that led from the Canal de Bourgogne  o Orleans. The road is now mostly well paved, but most importantly wide, flat, with no holes and with a plenty of benches for taking a rest. This part of the road is called Route de la Loire and there are also more cyclists here – a good sign that the road should be fine, at least for a while. The atmosphere is different, too. Now I am riding along the river Loire which is much more interesting than a narrow canal. There are also many nice villages and towns on the way, but I do not feel like doing sightseeing right now. 

The only nuisance on the road for me is very strong wind that slows me down significantly. On the other hand, today it is cloudy and only 25 degrees Celsius. That would be ideal if there were not this stupid wind. But of course, you cannot have everything perfect. Once the road is terrible, the other time it is too hot, sunny, the road is unpaved, there are great many cyclists, cars etc. – there is always something that can bother you, as well as things that cheer you up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment