Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 33

It is not down in any map; true places never are.  ~Herman Melville



In the morning I quickly put together my stuff and rushed away already at 7 am. After an hour I indulged myself with milk and coffee as a proto-breakfast that was supposed to be a reward for a crazy uphill ride. Later I found a bigger city where I had the real breakfast in the park. I became lost in reverie with my loved pain chocolat after another hour full of intense biking in the mist through various hills. Having eaten my breakfast, I was pondering that if I had taken the breakfast in the morning right away, I would not have enjoyed it so much. Clearly, there is no true joy without some degree of self-abandonment. Therefore, I am just wondering that if people enjoying pushing themselves to the limits are not some kind of masochists who later enjoy the reward after their self-torture, just like in things so mundane as simple breakfast.

Having realized that these 50 kilometers would be no kid stuff as I had originally thought, I planned a detour through main roads. There was a lot of heavy traffic, but it is difficult to say what was more dangerous for me – speeding cars, or the peril of complications with my hernia. I must admit that I was scared by speeding traffic. I had no idea back then that this would be my daily bread later on Camino Francais.

Last 15 km from Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port, I wanted to enjoy few more moments of tranquility and solitude. For this reason I took a break for lunch in a small mountain village. Firstly, I was looking for some electricity, but could not find any and decided to have a picnic on a hill with a nice view over the village. I wanted to enjoy the last French food and mixed once again my favorite fromage blanc with chocolate spread. Later I read my Kindle and had a small nap. I was only shocked that my back-up netbook battery unexpectedly broke down. The yesterday rain might have leaked into my luggage and wreak havoc with electric contacts. Damn, such a stupid mistake, I should have kept it air-tight in a special case to prevent corrosion.

Right after arriving in Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port I went to a Lidl shop that I spotted on the way. Had I known that I can find Lidl at my starting point, I needn't have rushed to buy food in the city yesterday. After the shopping I registered at the pilgrim's office and got a pilgrim passport. The guy at the office who took care of me was incredibly nice and we talked for a while in German about my plans. The most important information he wanted to tell me was the route option. There are basically two possible routes from Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port through the mountains. One is the easier one and is advisable for bikers, the other one goes straight through the mountains, is very steep, and should not be used in bad weather at all. The first one would be the right choice, but I simply could not pass such an adventure as riding my road bike through the harder route even on the assumption that I would have to push it all the way. I still had some days as a back-up and I could use it exactly for this purpose. I kindly asked the volunteers there if I could leave my batteries there to charge and strode into the town to do some sights. I had a great dinner – a baguette with camembert and beer. Still, walking outside in the rain and observing the pilgrims having their dinner in restaurants left me with a strange feeling. It was not envy, but some kind of pride that I practice self-denial and this austere way of life. One day I will enjoy having meals in restaurants, but to fully appreciate it, one must have memories of times in which he could not enjoy this kind of comfort in order to appreciate the higher standard later. These memories I am collecting right now and I am glad for that! Of course, if I really wanted, I could afford buying some food, but I plan to do it very sporadically. It is like training your will and tenacity – it might be handy one day.


That evening I was quite tired because I woke up very early the days before. Still, I could not build my tent until the city life eases off a little. I went to sleep after 11 pm, having stashed my tent behind a tree in the citadel and around 2 am was woken by noise of drunken tourists. Luckily they did not spot my tent and this night was also quite peaceful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment