Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 24

"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." — Martin Buber



The next day we were both very elated at the stroke of luck we had yesterday. After enjoying a small break for breakfast with a great view on the Atlantic, we rode straight ahead to a big bridge to Saint-Nazaire, called very originally the Saint-Nazaire bridge. Oliviert warned us that it is impossible to ride a bike there due to strong wind so we were very cautions. The bridge had a separated lane for bikes, but still, if one fell down, he or she would fall right in the front wheels of other cars. In the end, the wind was not as bad as we had been afraid of. We reached Saint-Nazaire just in time to do some sightseeing and Krzysztof could accomplish his adventurous vacation with a swim in the ocean. It was quite windy and rather cold, but he looked that he did not mind and enjoyed it to the fullest. Short thereafter, a big rain surprised us and we had to take cover in nearby shipyards. That was the moment when we quite by chance bumped into a touristic attraction. Saint-Nazaire was namely the major port for German submarines and the port there is a living museum of this historical event. One hour before the planned departure, Krzysztof invited me for a great lunch – local moules-frites, mussels and fries which is a popular dish in Belgium and Northern France. It was just awesome! I could not better taste the local food than eating Atlantic mussels and drinking some local beer - absolutely spectacular!


I have not mentioned one particular thing that we were pondering on for a while before Krzysztof left. He gave me a generous offer to swap our bikes so I could arrive to Compostela safely, with no risks of other unexpected difficulties with my bike. Indeed, my bike, even of a good quality, was not fit for this arduous journey. My uncle warned me before departure that it would be a miracle if the chain lasts more than 2000 or 3000 kilometers. You could easily say, alright, you would just buy another chain, but it is not as easy because hardly any chain would fit my current old gears. In order to function properly, the chain and gears and chain must come from the same set; therefore, it is advisable to buy several spare chains by upgrading your gears. That is something I will do definitely in the future, but my travelling budget did not stretch to any luxurious bike upgrade at the time of my departure. So, a long story short, my bike was deemed unfit for this ride, even though it valiantly managed 2000 kilometers. This generous offer was very tempting and I did my best to arrange the change, but I had to firstly ask the driver of my ride-share if he could go through Basel. I could not reach him the whole morning and when I gave up this idea, he suddenly called back. Luckily enough, the bike swap could be arranged and we changed our bikes at the last minute (as I always do and in fact, Krzysztof admittedly as well). I did not know how to truly thank him for his mostly generous offer. You cannot imagine how deliriously happy I was to have a brand new bike with reliable luggage that is not likely to fall apart any minute. I made a promise that I will have his bike blessed when I arrive in Compostela - that was the least I could do to show my gratitude. We barely managed to say goodbye to each other as we were busy with exchanging things. After the train left, I had the eerie feeling of being alone again. I got used to Krzysztof's company very quickly and I somehow felt strange to ride alone again. 

At least riding Krzysztof's bike was something that boosted my spirits. From now on, I will be referring to his bike as Eva, alluding to the funny cartoon Wallie. Eva was namely a super modern robot and the main character, robot named Wall-E, paled in comparison to her in many ways. I should have actually called my bike Wall-E to make it a match, but who could have known that I would have this pleasant opportunity to swap my bike.

After seeing off Krzysztof, I rode to the city to take some pictures and watch the Atlantic. On my way back I could not find the right direction to the big bridge and once even ended up on the highway. When I finally did find the bridge, I realized that it was virtually impossible to ride due to very strong wind after the heavy rain from the early afternoon. Now I understand Oliviert warned us - the wind we experienced in the morning was just a morning breeze compared to this. All things unattached on my bike and backpack slapped me in the face like crazy. I had to stop biking and go on foot instead. It took me half an hour to pass the bridge. Believe me, if there were a slightest chance to ride the bike, I would have done it, but there was no point in risking that your lopsided bike opposing the wind from the left side would not fall right under the car wheels when the wind suddenly stopped. For an unknown reason I was rather tired so I had my dinner half an hour later from gracious food supplies that Krzysztof had left me. 

I connected to a new bike route called Velocéan and from the starting point, it was incredibly well marked. It would be impossible to get lost; even I did not manage that which proves that marking is absolutely flawless and idiot-proof. I was also thrilled to finally change the usual scenery from rivers to the Atlantic Ocean. If only the wind had not blown so ferociously! It was really cold; I cannot understand how Krzysztof could swim in the ocean supposing that I was trembling with cold on the seaside. I guess his excitement warmed him up.

For the night I put my tent on a private property outside the city hoping that the proprietor would not spot the tent in the dark. The lane was mowed and I did not really felt like trudging through high grass at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment