Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day VII

Another day of sharing the route with pilgrims. I feel pity for riding so fast as I can imagine how they must feel when I just speed around them. I know that feeling damn well from running in the forest. It kind of drawed energy from me when I was hardly trying to summon up my last energy and a biker speeded like a bat out of hell. Especially if I consider that the road is totally flat, dull, empty and, without trees to protect you against the sun. This can really give the impression that one will be walking for infinite.

I stopped to have a cup of coffee in a village but the coffee was more expensive and not as tasty as yesterday, and the internet connection also sucked. That just reminds me that really nothing can be taken for granted.

The biking route stretches along the original pilgrim route all the morning. It is basically an abandoned old road that is scarcely used by cars. Biking goes today just fine, I use my biking time wisely for grasping a new language and listening to some old songs. At noon I arrived in small town where I bought some more ham in a cheap supermarket. This one, however, is not as delicious as the luxurious Jambon Serrano from Pamplona. The price is almost a third and the quality is a marked difference, accordingly, but still very tasty in comparison to our smoked ham in Slovakia (which is, if course, delicious as well, but this is much better - just a clarification, alright, I will be keep my mouth shut about food for a while from now on).

This small town bears an interesting name, Shahagun, and it marks the halfway of the Camino Francais. With this milestone passed, I wonder what I have achieved so far. All most difficult parts of the road are behind me, many difficulties have been overcome and thanks God, I am still here and can move on. There is only one last big challenge waiting for me: Cruiz de Ferro, a big hill situated 1500 meters above the sea level which is the highest point of the Camino route for bikers (as I have already mentioned, my mountain adventure was not really marked in my guide book). But still, the elevation gain is not so huge (600 to 1500 instead of 200 to 1500) and the road will not be so steep, thus the ride cannot be as crazy as through the Pyrenees. This hill, however, is somehow special from the spiritual point of view. It is believed that if you leave a token on that place, something dear to you of a great sentimental value, you will also take off a burden that torments your soul. I still have one day to decide what to leave there. However, after this big biking hike passed, there will be more or less flat terrain and few more days to Santiago and then, one more day to Cap de Fisterra, another end of the world. This will be basically the end of my pilgrimage, this ultimate summer adventure. After returning to Santiago and spending some quality time with contemplation in this holy place, I will take a bus to Valencia and wait there for my rideshare back home. In the meantime, I will enjoy the Spanish beaches for 2 more days that I have as a time equivalent of my food iron ration.

I must admit that I have mixed feelings now. I have come so far that it is now hard to believe. If I look back at the first days, full of suffering, exhaustion and uncertainty, then at scary moments with my illness and injuries, it is a big sense of accomplishment, but at the same time a a pity feeling that it will be soon over. There were times of exhaustion and fear, when I really  swore a lot, wished I had not undertaken this journey and rather had rested back home and enjoy the lazy summer time. However, there were also times of great sensation, joy and happiness that do not only even up the overall score, but vastly exceed all expectations. It was really worth of it, every penny, every second, and every moment of hardship! In no time, I will be back home, enjoying all the forgotten luxury that we take so much for granted. But I do believe that this holy pilgrimage gave me not only great experiences, but also enhanced my life spiritually. Now I feel that I am more humble, yet more goal seeking, tenacious and determined. This is the schola vitae at its finest.

On my way to Leon, something quite odd happened to me. I was tired of listening to Spanish audiobooks and changed it for some music. I am a huge soundtrack lover so I set my favorite playlist and wanted to continue, but my cell phone refused point-bland to play it. Coincidentally, it froze 2 times and a hard restart was needed when I chose the same playlist, but other playlists and programs seemed to work just fine. I could not explain it, as if I were not supposed to listen to those audiotracks. Stubborn, as I always am, I grumpily restarted my cell phone for the third time and then it finally worked. I strode downhill on a road full of hidden holes and I enjoyed my adrenaline ride until another bigger uphill challenge was coming. I saw it and immediately changed gears to meet the challenge easier, oblivious to other things when suddenly my empty bottle of water fell off from my luggage, and quite coincidentally, right next to a well that I did not see at all. It is true that I did not have any water left, but Leon was just in 15 km and I could do without as well, but it was definitely nice to replenish it. I just cannot understand, how the bottle could possibly fall out by going uphill, supposing that you tend to lose things when you ride downhill, and secondly, what a coincidence it can be that it fell out right next to the well. This is something which can be statistically explained very hardly and I do not really comprehend it. On the other hand, I always try to be neutral and very careful by in putting significance to any occurrences. If one is prone to see the signs of God everywhere, he or she will certainly see it almost everywhere, similarly, as people who like to call themselves rational, will use all kinds of excuses and science back up explanations to explain this or that coincidence. I find myself somewhere in the middle - no extreme was ever deemed good. Anyway, the great peril lurks in the propensity to see God sign anywhere which goes hand in hand with profound religious beliefs. I vividly remember our priest to be utmost careful about it because there are some people walking around and point out quite obvious stuff as miracles. I dare not to dash off any explanation of a divine sign here. I just wanted to remember it because this experience sent shivers down to my spine. From that moment, I decided to change for gospel music – interestingly, my cell phone did not protest anymore and nothing else was falling or better said flying away from my luggage since then.
Be it as it may, the water was not drinkable anyway which I found out after I had drunk about a liter of it. Whatever, it tasted equally good and I did not experience any health problems afterwards, either. There was another fountain with drinkable water beside the well which I later used for replenishing my bottles.

As already mentioned, I have arrived in Leon one day earlier- even today in the evening. I might have done about 140 km, but on the perfect terrain it was really a piece of cake. The only challenge on the road I intentionally made up for myself because I was totally bored with riding along the main road so I took a route on a beaten truck with many ups and down to have a small change. In the afternoon, the road became totally flat and I rather went on the national road to speed up. I felt pity for walking pilgrims in this soaring heat when I speeded 26 km/h.

Leon is another big city that has a stunning old town full of historic buildings, and breathtaking architecture. This time I followed the walking route which served very well as a guide through the city centre. I also had enough time to take plenty of pictures before the sun set down. When I was doing my sights, a talkative Italian woman came to me to enquire about the route. We chatted for a while and I found out that she went on the Camino on a road bike alone without her spouse. I told her my story and she seemed to be mesmerized with it, supposing that Leon was only the starting point of her Camino. Later on, I ran quite coincidentally into a Benedictines monastery with a pilgrim hospice. I said to myself that it is high time to recharge all batteries and this could actually be a nice experience. The Order of Saint Benedict is famous for its austere lifestyle and this reflected also in the auberge even though I cannot say much to this because this is my very first auberge I have visited on the Camino so far. These refugios basically consist of two rooms for men and women and in each of them you find about 20-30 beds. Basic amenities such a shower, living room, electricity and toilets are included, which right now in my perspective is an equivalent to a luxurious 5* residence. I do not have to wear earplugs due to fear of another sneaky insects coming to my ear, I do not have to be constantly on the watch for upcoming wildlife and I do not need to worry about Eva and her safety because the monastery door closes at 10 pm and not a soul gets in and out of here. As I firstly came there, I was totally bewildered and it took a while until I found somebody responsible for accommodation. The lady in charge of this precious duty did not speak much English which was actually a nice opportunity to make use of my Spanish. I managed to speak fluently few greeting phrases, but when she started explaining how things work there, I was getting lost and could not follow her anymore. Therefore, I had to follow her (literally) in order to see what she meant. She showed me around, gave me a meal ticket, a stamp into my pilgrim passport. There was supposed to be an evening prayer with blessing, but since the dinner room was supposed to close very soon, I had to use the purchased meal ticket. I wanted to attend the morning mass anyway and I can get my blessing there, too.

After taking a shower, I went to the dining room and was very nicely surprised with the dinner. I know, now you are smirking that it is so me to talk about food all the time. Wait before you skip this paragraph because this information is quite useful to you as well. The dinner cost 9 € I could not believe my eyes what I got for that. I was served a baguette as a starter, pasto carbonara as the first course, some sausages with fries as the main course, and few pears as a dessert. For a drink I got the whole bottle of wine from which I valiantly managed to drink three quarters. I wish we had such restaurants in Slovakia, too J I just could not fully enjoy my meal due to two following reasons: Firstly, I was so hungry that I totally swooped on it, and secondly, I knew that there was little time because I had nearly 20 minutes before they closed, and I was totally alone in the dining room. I know that feeling myself when the customer comes to a restaurant just before it closes. Anyway, for this price it was absolutely awesome and I am glad that I could have another warm meal after a while. Having this dinner and overindulging myself with a bottomless wine brought up my memories from my voluntary engagement in La Salette, France.

When I came back to the sleeping room, there was hardly no-one to talk to because all pilgrims went to sleep before 10:30 pm. I also decided to call it the day earlier as well, wrote a few lines into my blog and went to sleep. 



No comments:

Post a Comment