Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day IV

This morning I have woken up rather late, about 9 am. I said to myself that there is finally nowhere to rush and that I should enjoy this pilgrimage with all what it offers (quite late supposing that I passed up a great social event yesterday). In this case, it meant at least a decent night sleep. I followed the old national road for another 40 kilometers, having seen only the arid looking landscape and hills. There was really not much around. Vast uninhabited areas, where you could build everything and nothing alike. Before that, I had visited a small town called Vianna (the striking resemblance to Vienna is just a coincidence) that I originally wanted to skip, but then I thought it would be nice to use my spare time to see as much as possible. It was really worth of a stopover because the town was a historic place with many beautiful buildings and magnificent scenery from the city walls. A funny experience was that I met there the Lithuanian girl for the third time and could not really understand how she could keep up with me providing that she went to Santiago on foot. She told me that she did about 60 km per day and if I consider different and longer routes for biker pilgrims, it was not so impossible, but still very admirable. I must give a big respect to her, I am not sure if I could do 60 km per day in a long run. Obviously, she is a bigger sport freak than me.


Log from Logroňo


I squandered for lunch about 4 h which was quite unnecessary. It seems a lot, but actually if you consider that I firstly had to find a Lidl shop at the outskirt of the city, then do the shopping, afterwards find a nice and quiet place in the shadow, and then spend some time with a small siesta it is not so much. That was the reason why I left the city after quick sightseeing at half past six. When I finally thought that I can use the bike guide map quite efficiently, I got lost once again and spent another hour by figuring out how to get from one village to another. It sounds stupid, but if you had dozens of crop lanes, it would not be so easy for you, either. I was quite behind the schedule and tried to make it up by biking hard, but of course cautiously. Now looking back at my bike routes from other countries, I must say that it was a piece of cake in comparison with Camino. Today I was not to do much elevation gain according to the official Camino guide, but after riding up and down steep hills at least hundred times I clearly felt the difference. For some stupid reason, almost all smaller towns and villages are built on big hills and believe me, there is plenty of hills in this region. Tonight, I had to bike even in the dark and once again made use of my special bike gadgets. I followed an old national car road, but that one suddenly became a highway and I was totally trapped. I tried to go by the side and rode on a dry canal, but then I missed the last chance to get back on the national road. It was sheer despair when I found myself on a fenced parking lot leading to a normal road and I could not get in. Fortunately, I managed to locate another roundabout thanks to my GPS, but still, I had to ride another 1 km on the highway in the first place. I am so glad that it all went OK! Next time, I must be more careful. There could not be anything more dangerous as riding the bike on a highway at night. What a sigh of relief that I survived this stupid and horrific experience! I put my tent in an industrial area at the outskirt of another bigger pilgrim city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment