Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day XIII

Bonus quest: a trip to the Cap de Fisterra


As if it were not enough to bike more than 4000 kilometers and successfully finishing my Camino Europe, having had few days to spare, I gladly jumped at the chance to visit the Cap of Fisterra, a very famous place, also known as the end of the world. It was only 100+ km away from Santiago, so why not. After reaching the end of the world, I can proudly proclaim that I am not only a determined pilgrim, but also an intrepid traveler who could not travel more far away in this direction. Fisterra is known for its merciless streams, steep cliffs and dangerous waves that wreak havoc with many a ship. It is the sheer power of nature and its element that is neither good, nor bad, just indifferent and present since ever. Maybe that is the reason that Fisterra has become a famous place to visit not only for pilgrims. The grandeur of nature is supposed to bring up stifled thought and from deep within enforces contemplation. As the end of the world, it also represents a new beginning, washing away all worries and starting a new life, something as a pagan rebirth. Therefore, I wonder why it is so much associated with the Christian Camino, but one must bear in mind that not all pilgrims are religious, thus this place might have some other spiritual significance to them. Nonetheless, everything is just a point of view. The end of the world for travelers and pilgrims is for local people from Galicia actually the point, from where everything starts. This thing one should remember when encountering people with other beliefs and views of the world. Everything just seems different when looked through another eyes. Different must not always need to be better or worse, that is also just a point of view – just – different.

I guess the summer is coming to an end because the sunrise starts always later and mornings are getting colder. It is good that my trip is coming to an end, too because sleeping in a tent stops being pleasant when the temperature goes below 7 in the morning.

Today is supposedly my last real biking day and this also brought me some kind of nostalgia. As I biked in silence, I went through all the moments from my trips that stuck in my mind. For breakfast I bought in a small village a baguette and some kind of a Spanish pie with ham, tomatoes, chicken and corn. It was like two pizzas put together and it was absolutely delightful. If I just had remembered the name of this cake … By the way, Spanish baguettes pale in comparison with the original French ones.

For another break I stopped to buy some food in a local supermarket. Well, I would not really call it a supermarket, it was just a smaller shop owned by the locals. Today, there were no bigger towns on the route and because I did not have anything to eat, I had to acquiesce with paying a little bit more than I would dash off in Lidl. To enjoy the Spanish food to the fullest, I bought Jambon Serrano (prosciutto), some local biscuits, milk and toast bread. When I was about to pay by the cashier, the woman said something in Spanish which I could not follow, but as I later understood, she wanted to persuade me to buy a baguette instead of toast bread. I thought she wanted to talk me into buying something extra I did not really wanted, so I refused. Later, I understood that she probably wanted to sell out fresh bakery products that can easily go off and changed the toast bread for baguette by myself. She looked happy about that and gave me some nectarines as a reward. That was really a win-win situation, supposing that I paid 1 € for two nectarines in Estella. For me it did not really mattered whether I have a fresh baguette or never-go-bad toast full of preservatives, even though that kind of toast bread would match better to my prosciutto than the Spanish baguette, but I was happy to help out.


In the afternoon I went through various little villages in Galicia and I can confirm what the Korean guy told me in the cathedral yesterday. He was wondering how it is possible that all houses looked so pretty despise the economical crisis about which he had heard so much. This stroke me as well – the villages were in a significantly better state than other villages I had a chance to see in Spain or France. I suppose this is because the agriculture is thriving in this region due to the fertile land. All the way I could see fields which clearly points out to the fact that the locals can actually do better with growing crops than the other regions from Camino tourism. Even though the trip to Fisterra is famous for all pilgrims, I have fortunately not seen endless streams of touristic pseudo-pilgrims anymore. Those pseudo-pilgrims have probably taken a bus, instead. I would like to mention one interesting thing that is very typical for this region. Almost every house had a special silo with a cross for keeping the crops and all looked the same. Also, I have seen people in the field farming in the old-fashioned way. No heavy machinery as in France or Germany. Maybe those I have seen were just small farmers, but I definitely did not envy working on the sun all day long. Galicia is also very well known for its culture that bears striking resemblance to the Irish culture with bagpipes and colors. Also, I have spotted countless images of witches and different ancient symbols on local souvenirs - no idea why, but it looks as if ancient cultures and religions had enjoyed a proud tradition in this region. 


Arriving at Fisterra was easier than I expected. I did the route remarkably fast. Then, I finally enjoyed my lunch/dinner with a magnificent view over the ocean from a cliff at the end of the world. I have also realized that not every prosciutto is of the same quality. That luxurious stuff from Pamplona was definitely way better than this one I bought today, for around 28 €/ kg. But still, I needed some proteins for my already tired muscles and this was the best (and most local) way to get them. Yes, I feel tiredness, indeed. When I push on my thigh, it is hard as steel and it hurts a little. But now it is over, I will not do much biking besides trolling in the city, and maybe in two days in Barcelona I will have a small tour around the coast, but that will be basically it.








No comments:

Post a Comment