Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day VI

In the morning I was woken up by the clashes of pilgrim staffs (on the ground, not on me, of course) for I built my tent near the pilgrim's route. Later on, I spotted some flashes, too. Probably somebody was trying to snap a photo of an unusual peripatetic bike pilgrim. This morning was fortunately warmer than the last time. Today, the bike route mostly shared the same path as original Camino so I saw many a pilgrim on the way. I pulled out at the first small village to go to the bathroom, but in the end I rested in the restaurant and indulged myself with coffee and a Spanish version of omelet. The barista was very nice and talkative. We talked in some way of Spanglish or so. He even gave me a lucky charm, a small medallion of Virgin Mary. I put it on the bike afterwards. Thanks to the WiFi, I was finally able to upload some entries on my blog and spent another 2 hours answering e-mails. It  has a special rustical charm to sit in a village cafe in the morning and enjoy your breakfast. I was actually very surprised that I found here internet connection.


I am passing endless flat inland. The great deal of the route is shared with pilgrims. This time I am not taking any unnecessary harder way because even my guidebook does not give me any other alternative. What a nice change to ride alongside walking pilgrims again. It is also interesting to keep my ears open and every now and then listen to people's conversations. As an unwilling eavesdropper I can say that the most common topic among pilgrims is obviously the meaning of the Camino. Surprisingly there are more atheists than religious people on the way, at least from the little I have experienced. Most of them tackled the same old question of morality and religion - presumably a very intricate affair if the humanity could not provide a feasible answer to it for several millenniums. On the other hand, I must also admit that after having read philosophy for some time, I am now even more bewildered than ever before. There might be situations for which no correct action is available and one must choose between the lesser evil. But that is rather an exception than the rule. And the rule for universal morality is rather simple. One does not need to learn it, it should somehow come naturally to any person. The rule is sometimes referred to as the Golden rule and it is seriously nothing new - I do not know a person who would not heard the maxim that one should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself. The same principle embracing tolerance, respect, and freedom is also the backbone of almost all religions. I am just wondering if all religions always come back to the same principle, what is so wrong with us people that we can hardly live according to it? If everyone could follow this once stupidly simple axiom, there would be no wars and animosity. The root problem might dwell in our pride. Maybe we cannot accept the fact that the other person might have his or her own truth and we want to win everybody over to our side for the sake of justice, truth, God, humanity, nation, or whatever true or false reason we can come up with. And even if we were absolutely right, does it even matter to bully the others to accept it? That also contradicts the principle mentioned above. Of course, bullying is just the absolute extremity, and luckily in civilized society, people do not revert to open hostility anymore. Instead, they proudly think that the others are wrong, they are the right ones, the better ones, and who does not share their opinion is the necessary evil that they gladly bear as the strong ones and the "peaceful" ones. I do not get it how people can possibly think like that. I normally hear clues for this behavior pattern over and over again, but interestingly, not here on the Camino. In my humble opinion, tolerance is the key to one's own freedom of mind. It starts right there and many things depend on it. To my mind, the world and society are like a soccer field and each of us plays his or her own piece of the game. Therefore, I will rather admire the person playing for the other team who plays fair and brings some added value to the game than my own team player floating the rules and spoiling it all for everybody.

***

I try to learn Spanish with my audiobooks on the way, but it is a little frustrating to learn a new language out of scratch. I still keep mixing it with French and since I cannot devote full attention to the audio course while biking, I feel that I have to hear something at least hundreds of times before I finally remember it. Hopefully it finds its way to my unconsciousness anyway and will resurface later when needed. Well, and I thought that I might be gifted for languages J Languages are not like math, you must rehearse them all the time, it is not about grasping the principle, hearing something once and then using it flawlessly.

For lunch I had bread with some kind of meat spread that was not particularly tasty. I had to compensate this bad taste with chocolate spread.

Today, nothing noteworthy has happened on my way. It was cloudy and rainy which was actually a pleasant change after scorching temperatures from days before. In the evening I could see a magnificent image of a sunset through a thunder far in the distance. Pouring rain overshadowed the sunlight and it looked like the clouds were reaching the ground. This was all emphasized by the crimson sun and the clear sky in the distance.  Unfortunately my cell phone battery was flat and I was not able to snap a photo of this unusual and breathtaking scenery.


No comments:

Post a Comment