Translate

Aug 28, 2013

Day 6

 Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.  ~Seneca



I started the next day with high spirits that I would catch up on my schedule and instead of taking breakfast right away, I indulged myself firstly after 20 km. I was heading to Regensburg, a well-known Bavarian city where I wanted to do a little bit more sightseeing as in Passau. As usually, the first 40 km went pretty smoothly. I pulled out at one small town to replenish water, wash my clothes and buy some food. Speaking about the food, today I had a typical Bavarian salad. It basically consists of ham, ham, some onions, cucumber and again, ham. I bought it at a local store, but still, even for a readymade food, it gave me a good taste of the local cuisine.

In the afternoon I continued listening to my audiobooks. After finishing with Plato in the morning, I did a small recapitulation of Sartre and Spinoza. The last 20 km to Regensburg were awful. I was pretty tired and the soaring heat was killing me. Right after arriving in Regensburg, I went straight to the nearest McDonald's. Normally I loathe McDonald's and its products, but having free internet, an electricity plug, and tasty ice-cream is an offer you cannot refuse, especially after biking the whole day in the sun. What a pity that I did not have more time for sightseeing, Regensburg looks like a nice city that breaths with history. At least I can say that I saw something, as a fast-sightseeing tourist. On the bike it is namely very convenient to do sightseeing in a town: You travel triple so fast with minimal effort. I tried to soak into the citys atmosphere as much as possible. In the evening, there was not much hustle - people were just hanging out, dating and enjoying the nice weather. While leaving for the Donauradweg, I went through an interesting bridge that was decorated with a myriad of small locks. Interestingly, it became a habit for lovers to engrave their relationship by putting a small lock on the bridge.

As every pilgrim to Compostela, I also wear a special sign: a small shell that is a symbol of this holy pilgrimage. Not many people recognize it, not even among Catholics. Today, however, I was nicely surprised as I overtook a young cyclist and she immediately caught up on me because she recognized the shell. We spent another 20 minutes engaged in a pleasant conversation before she pulled home. I discovered that a friend of her did Camino François on the foot and that was actually the reason that she recognized it. I am curious how many other people will know it, but I think the closer I get to the beginning of the official pilgrimage; the more people will be familiar with it. 

Tonight I have also missed the desired finish and stopped about 5 km earlier. Firstly, it was really dark and the paved Donauradweg ended, and secondly because I have found a perfect spot to build my tent. I have "claimed" a small half-island in a park and set my base there. Now I am sitting on the bench writing this blog and indulging myself with the rest of my small bottle of whisky. 

My daily routines looks like following: In the morning 40 km, lunch, rest until 3 pm, then until 6pm another 40 km, dinner, rest, 20 km, setting the base and preparing for sleep. According to my map calculations, I do about 100 km, but in reality it is about 115-125 due to wildly inaccurate route planning (e.g. turn right, which is actually a curve could by marked in my map software only with setting points that formed a triangle), and due to my to and fro sightseeing and losing directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment